[BLU/Officers] Online meetings

Jerry Feldman gaf.linux at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 15:01:31 EDT 2020

I agree that G-Hangout-Meet and Jtsi are worth a look. We have 2 issues:
1. April 15th. We just have to coordinate with Federico.
2. Officers. (a more standard collaboration platform, like G-Hangout-Meet
3. I have a server sitting at home that I will bring to the BLU hosting
center at some time.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 2:50 PM Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 2:24 PM John Abreau <abreauj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If Zoom is unacceptable, then I imagine skype, hangouts, and the other
>> options mentioned previously will likely also have issues. It sounds like
>> you think it would be bad to even test Zoom.
>>

> While Skype and Hangout-Meet are owned by MS and Alpha/GOOG, respectively
> somewhat and highly suspect on privacy grounds, i am not *aware* of any
> *specific* privacy issues with them.
> (I haven't noticed targeted ads as a result of keywords in Hangout... yet
> ... as i do with G-mail, G-chat and FB DM and post/reply.
> Creepy but better than all the ED cures they used to offer when my only
> known demographic was Male.
> OTOH you'd think they'd know i eventually bought a mattress after
> comparison shopping so maybe i don't need another immediately and they can
> back off that keyword?)
>
> I looked through those links, and a couple of them recommend Jitsi as an
>> alternative. Apparently we could run our own blu.org jitsi server on our
>> hardware.
>>

> That would seem to be the most FLOSS-dogfood option based on the current
> buzz.
> I can't personally recommend as I haven't tried Jitsi.
> Offhand IDK running our own might be required - is there a free server and
> is it over-subscribed in this crisis?
>
> Shall we test jjitsi instead, or do you have some other platform in mind
>> that we should try? I'd really like to try out something suitable this week
>> for holding an officers meeting with at least 3 participants.
>>

> I'm comfortable with G-Hangout-*Meet* and that is compatible with our
> existing YouTub archive, bonus.
> Jitsi probably worth a look.
>
> // Bill

Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 6F6BB6E7
Key fingerprint: 0EDC 2FF5 53A6 8EED 84D1  3050 5715 B88D 6F6B B6E7