[BLU/Officers] Online meetings

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 14:50:44 EDT 2020

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 2:24 PM John Abreau <abreauj at gmail.com> wrote:

> If Zoom is unacceptable, then I imagine skype, hangouts, and the other
> options mentioned previously will likely also have issues. It sounds like
> you think it would be bad to even test Zoom.

While Skype and Hangout-Meet are owned by MS and Alpha/GOOG, respectively
somewhat and highly suspect on privacy grounds, i am not *aware* of any
*specific* privacy issues with them.
(I haven't noticed targeted ads as a result of keywords in Hangout... yet
... as i do with G-mail, G-chat and FB DM and post/reply.
Creepy but better than all the ED cures they used to offer when my only
known demographic was Male.
OTOH you'd think they'd know i eventually bought a mattress after
comparison shopping so maybe i don't need another immediately and they can
back off that keyword?)

I looked through those links, and a couple of them recommend Jitsi as an
> alternative. Apparently we could run our own blu.org jitsi server on our
> hardware.

That would seem to be the most FLOSS-dogfood option based on the current
buzz.
I can't personally recommend as I haven't tried Jitsi.
Offhand IDK running our own might be required - is there a free server and
is it over-subscribed in this crisis?

Shall we test jjitsi instead, or do you have some other platform in mind
> that we should try? I'd really like to try out something suitable this week
> for holding an officers meeting with at least 3 participants.

I'm comfortable with G-Hangout-*Meet* and that is compatible with our
existing YouTub archive, bonus.
Jitsi probably worth a look.

// Bill