[BLU/Officers] Online meetings

Jerry Feldman gaf.linux at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 14:52:20 EDT 2020

I just tested JAMI. This is a fully FOSS project. Worked fine with 2 of us,
but had many issues with 3. It may be ok with our officers who are all
technically inclined. The problem we had with Jami is that on a 3-way call,
sometimes the audio would drop out, I lost video. I could re-establish the
call, but AFAIK this is not a useful tool.

What we need for officers is an online conferencing tool that works so that
we can get on. I'm investigating tools for the natick FOSS. I can share the
list of tools that I made but have not tested.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 2:24 PM John Abreau <abreauj at gmail.com> wrote:

> If Zoom is unacceptable, then I imagine skype, hangouts, and the other
> options mentioned previously will likely also have issues. It sounds like
> you think it would be bad to even test Zoom.
>
> I looked through those links, and a couple of them recommend Jitsi as an
> alternative. Apparently we could run our own blu.org jitsi server on our
> hardware.
>
> Shall we test jjitsi instead, or do you have some other platform in mind
> that we should try? I'd really like to try out something suitable this week
> for holding an officers meeting with at least 3 participants.
>

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 1:53 PM Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Zoom has a terrible privacy policy.
>>
>> The Security/Privacy community generally considers Zoom to be
>> indistinguishable from Malware.
>> It does "focus tracking" and will (can be set to) ratfink on attendees
>> who are (perhaps) listening to but not watching the presentation or cluster
>> of faces to the meeting organizer.
>> (I can see how that is* perceived* as beneficial to instructors and
>> Bosses counting attendance / measuring "engagement".)
>> Suggestion is that the full list of programs running on your device is
>> available to Zoom and may be available to meeting organizer.
>>

>> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/what-you-should-know-about-online-tools-during-covid-19-crisis
>> https://twitter.com/Ouren/status/1241398181205889024
>> https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1148431315190067200?s=19
>>
>> Now if JABR is the meeting organizer this may not bother *him*,
>> but should BLU as ethical FLOSS advocates be encouraging folks to use
>> things EFF advises against?
>> (or encouraging folks to trust JABR with their privacy? :-D )
>>
>> // bill
>>

> --
> John Abreau / Executive Director, Boston Linux & Unix
> Email: abreauj at gmail.com / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID
> 0x920063C6
> PGP-Key-Fingerprint A5AD 6BE1 FEFE 8E4F 5C23  C2D0 E885 E17C 9200 63C6

Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 6F6BB6E7
Key fingerprint: 0EDC 2FF5 53A6 8EED 84D1  3050 5715 B88D 6F6B B6E7