[BLU/Officers] Face to face meeting

Bill Horne bill at horne.net
Sun Dec 8 02:15:14 EST 2019

On 12/7/2019 3:41 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I was talking to Kurt, Bill Ricker and David Kramer. We have a few
> issues. Such as
> It might be time where we should retire the hardware and virtualized.
> I'll try to talk to the guy at Synoptek.
I've been using prgmr.com for years, and I recommend them. My yearly
server rental is about $120, but you'll probably want more bandwidth for
a BLU server.
> Also, we need backups for each of us as we are all aging. One issue is
> if John goes away, we wont have access to the domain. (Maybe blu.org
> <http://blu.org> should be owned by a corporation). And management of
> the server and web site. We probably should use https.

I think everyone in the leadership should write out a list of applicable
user id's and passwords, and put them in a safe-deposit box or fire safe
that two or three people can access: if blu decides on a more formal
arrangement, lawyers will store them for a nominal fee. As a practical
matter, almost all Domain Name services like GoDaddy can change a
domain's details with only a User ID and password, so there's little
need to incorporate just as a placeholder for a domain name:
incorporation is expensive, and it requires yearly reports and tax
filings, so I'd avoid it if it were up to me.

I don't feel that paying for SSL certificates is in the BLU's best
interest: all they do is close the "lock" icon on the browsers that
access the site. I know that browser designers shill for the X.509
industry, by putting "insecure" warnings on http-only sites, but I think
there are still some free SSL certs available if the BLU decides it's
essential.

That's my 2¢. YMMV.

Bill Horne