[BLU/Officers] Face to face meeting

John Abreau abreauj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 18:11:00 EST 2019

Much of the website is driven by a postfix database backend, so updates are
for the most part just a matter of adding and modifying database records.
I'm not sure how we could switch cleanly over to something like wordpress
or caldav without major loss of functionality.

Last time I looked at Meetup, which admittedly was more than 10 years ago,
there was a requirement that we pay a $2 fee for each and every attendee at
our meetings. That requirement was a show-stopper, because I don't want to
charge a membership fee in the first place, never mind doing so just for
the privilege of advertising on Meetup.

I tried to set up an SSL test site a while back, in accordance with the
free SSL service that someone demonstrated at one of our meetings, but the
tool for managing certificate updates wouldn't install on driftwood. I
don't recall the details.

Backups are pushed out to Amazon S3 via restic. The script is at
/usr/local/bin/restic-backup.sh, and I have it doing daily, monthly, and
yearly backups. The script prunes the backups so that it retains a maximum
of 14 dailies and 24 monthlies. The yearly backups never get pruned. AWS
access keys and restic password are included from a file in my home
directory.

Daily backups are run on days 2..31, monthly backups of the 1st of February
thru December, and yearly backups on January 1.

Incorporation seems expensive, complicated, and unnecessary. We've operated
for 25 years without it.

Our domain account at networksolutions is an 8-digit numerical id and a
password. It's not tied to an email address, but the various contact
records all currently point to me.

We currently have 3 nameservers defined, but driftwood is currently the
only one actually functioning. The other two are cheyenne.blu.org and
msb.ernest-doss.org. Cheyenne no longer exists, and Msb apparently no
longer provides DNS at all.

Email: abreauj at gmail.com / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0x920063C6