[Discuss] Hoggish software was: Linux Kernel Building

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Thu May 25 14:58:10 EDT 2023

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 3:44 PM Shirley Márquez Dúlcey <mark at buttery.org> wrote:

> The catch is that browsers never really go idle. They always have stuff
> going on in the background. So they're never going to completely swap out.

I think most of that is more of a web site issue though.   SO MANY
sites have autoplaying
videos, timer based updates, etc.   Firefox, at least, lets you
disable autoplay on videos which
can at least reduce the load of an 'idle' tab.  I think there are
other things that you can do,
but I haven't explored them sufficiently to suggest anything.

Bill Bogstad