[Discuss] Hoggish software was: Linux Kernel Building

Shirley Márquez Dúlcey mark at buttery.org
Fri May 19 15:49:01 EDT 2023

Oh, you already kind of mentioned that.

But the thing is that most users of browsers don't WANT them to go idle.
They might have notifications that can be received, or an email program
running that can receive new messages, or any number of other things that
happen regularly. But the memory cost of doing that in Chromium is high, in
part because it normally uses as much memory as it can grab to speed up its
own operation -- for example, keeping fully rendered versions of pages so
that you can instantly switch to their tabs. If the browser really IS the
user's primary application, as it is for some, that's good. If you're
trying to use your computer for other things as well and have a limited
amount of RAM, not so much.

Fortunately, RAM is cheap right now. Unless you own an unexpandable system
(M1 or M2 Mac, laptop with soldered memory) or you're running an older
system and have already hit its memory ceiling, in which case you can't
just go out and buy more.