[Discuss] still Re: Software Updating Program Called "software"?, but more https://frame.work/ laptops

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue May 2 11:07:08 EDT 2023

On 5/1/23 16:20, Shirley Márquez Dúlcey wrote:
> Getting Debian to work takes a bit more effort. You'll have to enable
> non-free drivers to get the network card working, and you'll have to
> add the fingerprint reader manually. I haven't tried it personally,
> but people who say it works well once those things are taken care of.
> There are threads on the Framework community site that detail what you
> need to do.

That doesn't sound that far off what I did for this XPS-13. Non-free I
have on, and I don't use fingerprint readers. Last I looked I thought I
saw problems with things like hibernate to swap, but the specifics don't
directly matter to me until this machine goes out of service, which I
hope I can postpone a good while longer.

Thanks for the general report on the Framework machines.

Oh, a question: Because they are so easily dismantled, I am worried they
aren't physically as tough as a machine designed to not be opened. I
like using a little notebook computer as a very portable thing that I
frequently carry about. How tough do they seem to you?

-kb