[Discuss] still Re: Software Updating Program Called "software"?, but more https://frame.work/ laptops

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue May 2 13:08:51 EDT 2023

On 5/2/23 08:07, Kent Borg wrote:
> Thanks for the general report on the Framework machines.

So just because I said I'm not in the market for a new laptop doesn't
mean I didn't spend some time thinking about what I would choose if I
*were*.

I wouldn't equip it like a gaming machine, but I would put in lots of
RAM (so I can run a modern web browser, without dipping into swap) and a
pretty big (humongous by historical standards) SSD because having space
in nice.

But it took me an embarrassingly long time of clicking here and there,
seeing pictures of all those parts, that I realized how nice it would be
to be able to repair by swapping sub-assemblies. Heck, maybe not even
buy the 2TB of SSD as I was thinking, live with a "mere" 1TB (but faster
model!) and upgrade to 2 or 4 later, when I actually need the space, and
they might be cheaper.

I sure hope Framework is successful.

-kb