[Discuss] still Re: Software Updating Program Called "software"?, but more https://frame.work/ laptops

Shirley Márquez Dúlcey mark at buttery.org
Mon May 1 19:20:40 EDT 2023

I have the original 11th gen Intel Framework, and use it with both Linux
(Ubuntu 22.04 LTS now, originally 20.04 LTS) and Windows 10. Everything
works fine out of the box. 20.04 LTS needed manual installation of support
for the fingerprint reader and the AX210 WiFi card, but those both come
with 22.04. Fedora and Ubuntu are the two distros that Framework officially
supports; Fedora 37 worked on the older models, but you'll need Fedora 38
for the new 13th gen systems.

Getting Debian to work takes a bit more effort. You'll have to enable
non-free drivers to get the network card working, and you'll have to add
the fingerprint reader manually. I haven't tried it personally, but people
who say it works well once those things are taken care of. There are
threads on the Framework community site that detail what you need to do.

AMD-based Framework systems are coming later this year. The company intends
to support Linux on them, but we won't know whether everything works out of
the box until they appear. Possible problems are support for the processor
and the WiFi card, as the AMD version will use a different card than the
Intel version. I'm planning to upgrade my laptop (primarily to get the
better graphics) and use the old motherboard in a small desktop system;
I'll let people know how it goes when it arrives.