[Discuss] Setting up ssh tunnels using PuTTY

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Thu Sep 15 15:04:18 EDT 2022

E. William Horne wrote:
> On 9/15/2022 10:03 AM, Rich Pieri wrote:
> > ... over a SSH tunnel or WireGuard VPN.
>
> TWIMC,
>
> My ISP has a new owner, and they are blocking VoIP ports, so my Callcentric
> phone line isn't working. I'm trying to set up an ssh tunnel using PuTTY, to
> get past the port blockage, with no success.
>
> If you're familiar with setting up ssh tunnels through PuTTY, please point
> me to any HOWTO or help files you can. Thanks for your time!

SSH tunnels have the UDP-in-TCP problem. This would be better
addressed by using a UDP or L2TP mechanism to proxy things out
to a friendly VM somewhere. If you wanted encryption, Wireguard
would work.

The typical other problem with VOIP-over-SSH is that unless
you're speaking IAX, you have a dynamic port problem. SIP is
usually 5060/5061, but RTP might want many high UDP ports.

-dsr-