[Discuss] Setting up ssh tunnels using PuTTY

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 15:41:00 EDT 2022

On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 13:55:41 -0400
"E. William Horne" <malassimilation at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you're familiar with setting up ssh tunnels through PuTTY, please
> point me to any HOWTO or help files you can. Thanks for your time!

A problem is that VOIP uses UDP. While you can forward UDP packets over
a SSH tunnel and the process is kind of simple you have to know *all*
of the ports your application uses and set up netcat to pass each of
them through the tunnel. Easy doesn't mean it's not a pain in the
behind.

A commercial VPN is a lot easier for this. I happen to use Mozilla VPN
for this sort of thing (bypassing ISP blocks). It's Mullvad/WireGuard
with Mozilla branding but there are other decent, inexpensive options
out there.

--