[BLU/Officers] Ideas for upcoming BLU meetings?

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 23:39:07 EST 2021

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 10:42 PM John Abreau <jabr at blu.org> wrote:

> Any thoughts for speakers and topics for the next few BLU meetings?

1. The ongoing *NAS* discussion on GNHLUG list is fodder for thought, but
not sure who you'd get to cover which subset of that.

Related, the latest *BSD Now* podcast mentions *OpenZFS* has a new feature
in Raid-Z called *dRaid* that solves a problem with healing performance.
https://www.bsdnow.tv/393
https://klarasystems.com/articles/openzfs-draid-finally/

I might not hop on this new feature *immediately* if were i building a NAS
right *now*, as one wants stability in storage, which is the opposite of
new code; and it seems aimed at bigger setups, but interesting nonetheless.

2. *BSD* in general is perhaps undercovered lately but specifically
included in the B.L.*U *TLA.
While we're WFH meeting virtually, maybe we can recruit someone from the
Open/Net/Free BSD communities ?

And then there's the other BSD, Mac OSX.
Perhaps someone has a pre-canned presie on OSX Commandline for folks used
to Linux/Unix/POSIX shell/CLI?
I got a Mac for Linux People book 15-20 years ago when kid got a Macbook,
but it's out of date by now.
Probably an earlier version of
https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/mac-os-x/9780596520625/
*Mac OS X For Unix Geeks, 4th Edition *by* Ernest E. Rothman, Rich Rosen,
Brian Jepson*
(Advanced section discusses dual booting)
but it might have been an Apress or No Starch equivalent, i'd have to
rummage to see.

Do we perhaps have contact with any of those 3 authors?

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux