[BLU/Officers] Online meetings

John Abreau abreauj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 16:52:29 EDT 2020

I've added Federico to the conversation.

I did some further testing, and found that desktop sharing and windows
sharing seem to work well on both hangouts-meet meet and jitsi.

I looked into recording the meetings, and I found that jitsi does it out of
the box for free, whereas hangouts only provides it for Enterprise
accounts, which I assume would be prohibitively expensive for us. Jitsi
records the meetings to dropbox, and when I downloaded and played my test
recording afterwards, the video and audio quality were excellent.

I performed both tests from within google chrome, so both are
platform-agnostic. Members won't have to install a dedicated client to
attend. Unless they attend by a handheld device, of course, but I saw that
jitsi has both iOS and Android client apps, and I assume hangout-meet does
as well. I tested the jitsi android app, before I tried it in the browser,
and it worked well.

If we find that all else is equal, I'm leaning toward jitsi at this point,
but I'd still like to run some tests with other participants using both
platforms, initially with just a few of us and later with a larger number
of participants.

Setting up our own jitsi server is an option I'd like to investigate later,
but for now we can stick with the existing free server. The roll-your-own
server is only actively supported on Ubuntu, and apparently installing it
on CentOS is a major hassle, so if we decide to set up our own, I'll want
to build the new server with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS instead of CentOS 8, and
20.04 won't be released until next month.