[BLU/Officers] Online installfest

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:59:04 EDT 2020

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 1:22 PM Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good points.
> A scheduled installfest probably would not be very useful.

It would be hard to help multiple people simultaneously in one Jitsi
meeting ...

although if several are doing installs with only periodic "does this look
right? what do i select here?" questions, multiple is not out of the
question. If two hit questions near-simultaneously, one may need to listen
and wait ... but each can benefit from the others' Q&A more than in the
basement.

Maybe a sign up where 1 person would sign up and 1 or 2 volunteers would
> help.

possible

> Or office hours.

possible , and OR can be read as INCLUSIVE AND/OR

> Some people, like Dan Moylan just need some help with some weirdness. -

Indeed. Being able to have dynamic as well as regular office hours would be
good.

I did something rather like Office Hours with Brian a week ago ... used the
camera on a tablet aimed at the radio I was training him on in addition to
an in-browser instance to share a manual page. I might bring my dashboard
tablet stalk in from the car to do that again with a little more stability!
Sort of like when Federico uses the web-camera as an Opaque Projector on a
hardware talk. For Software config, sharing the screen is sufficient, but
during install and book, that's not available, so having the helpee use a
phone/tablet  *forward* camera to show the screen will be useful.  I think
that requires the JITSI app? Or does JITSI work in a mobile browser too?

   - Having a predictable URL for Office Hours with a predictable schedule
   would be good.
   ? Is it possible to have a single JITSI meeting URL that any one of the
   several Officers can fire up ?
   - We could in addition to regular hours fire it up off schedule if via
   email or IRC etc we find time to help someone in between.
   - see above re using phone/tablet to share boot/install screens