[BLU/Officers] GPG1 Re: MIT key server appears to be down

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Wed Sep 18 16:22:26 EDT 2019

The script to register the key uses the key id to pull the key from the
designated key server and saves it to the keyring in the keysigning
directory, then runs make(1) against a makefile that extracts all keys on
the keyring and generates the html table in a file that gets included by
the php page.

It generally takes more than a few seconds for the process to complete; I
haven't tried to time it. I imagine the network latency from pulling the
key from the key server is probably the biggest bottleneck.

I set up a testing copy of the key registration that uses gpg2, but I
didn't want to risk step on the live registration page while someone was
adding a key, so I plan to put it in place after tonight. I briefly looked
at how to generate an ECC key, but it seems there are several different
cyphers and some disagreement over which one to choose, and I didn't have
time to spend hours this morning figuring it out, so I deferred that until
after tonight's meeting as well.

Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0x920063C6