[BLU/Officers] Calendar update ?

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Wed May 15 00:29:25 EDT 2019

TL;DR version

>From at least 2014 thru March 11, we had redundant calendaring options.

   -  Publicly shared Google Calendar named *blu-events at gapps.blu.org
   <blu-events at gapps.blu.org>*
   - *http://blu.org/cgi-bin/calendar.ics
   <http://blu.org/cgi-bin/calendar.ics>*

On the mailing lists, the latter was offered as an alternative for the
latter, for use when the native Gapps Gcal wasn't usable (for unclear
reasons) either temporarily or permanently (due to incompatibility).

In later mail archives, It looks like i switched to the direct ICS version
in 2017 when the Gapps Gcal native got the timezone conversion wrong one
month. (IIRC timezone was double deducted; it was a Federico meeting.)

The ICS fetch from blu.org last succeeded on 2019-03-11, internally
timestamped by *cheyenne*.blu.org .
That seems about right ... probably the last calendar update before it
failed.

The current server at blu.org returns *HTTP 500* for the ICS URL.

NEXT STEPS

   - In the short term, I have switched back to the working Gapps native
   Gcal, and have suggested same to Tom.
      - If any other users are still using the .ics URL, they should also
      switch back if they can.
      - Perhaps MGT would prefer to send that email to Announce or Discuss
      rather than have me write it with my snark?
      - In the medium term, JABR should consider restoring the
   http://blu.org/cgi-bin/calendar.ics functionality on the new server so
   that
   (a) we have the backup calendar source that was useful with hiccups in
   2014 and 2017
   (b) folks who don't use Google can calendar with us.
   - We should probably include text/links to both on the main Calendar
   page so they're easy to find?