[BLU/Officers] Crypto News talk for September keysigning meeting?

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 11:55:08 EDT 2019

I will do the usual Crypto News & Historical Vignette talk.

The question is, if I present as Crypto news why everyone should abandon
both RSA and PGP/GPG - best advice from the cryptologists I respect - and
what we should be using instead -- should we still proceed ironically to do
a keysigning?

Tqbf: I am so confused by the constant question of “well if not PGP then
> what?”
> Huh? Nobody uses PGP. It’s like asking “if not Betamax then what?” It’s
> not even wrong.

Yes there's no *single* replacement. One ring to rule them all is part of
the problem with PGP. It is impossible to make general purpose crypto
that's easy to safely use for everything. Secure messaging and signing
Debian/GIT packages are different use cases.

the bigger problem with replacing PGP is that, if successful, all of the
> PGP users become your users

(So that the list of replacement options is longer than what we're
replacing.)

I don't object to irony, i'm kind of fond of irony, but how long until the
PGP web of trust meets the broom of indifference?

// Bill