[Discuss] Wanting to understand Dolphin file manager automounting

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Mon Jan 29 18:22:41 EST 2024

Rich Pieri wrote:
> I have a server, ZFS on Linux, using ZFS' NFS server to export some
> nested datasets:
>
> tank/foo
> tank/foo/bar
> tank/foo/baz
>
> zfs set sharenfs="rw,client.home.net" tank/foo
> zfs share tank/foo
>
> This exports three NFS volumes because that's how ZFS works. This is
> fine.
>
> I mount the top level tank/foo on the client, running OpenSUSE
> Tumbleweed, from fstab:
>
> server:/tank/foo   /foo   nfs   defaults   0  2
>
> All good so far, and the volume shows up in Dolphin's Remote places
> section. The thing I don't understand is when I click on the volume in
> Dolphin, the nested volumes are mounted as well.
>
> Why is this happening, and what setting do I change to prevent it?

I believe that on Linux, ZFS doesn't implement NFS by itself,
but rather calls on the kernel NFS server. The default is v4,
which says:

Technical note: NFSv4 no longer has a separate "mount" protocol. Instead of exporting a number of distinct exports, an NFSv4 client sees the NFSv4 server's exports as existing inside a single filesystem, called the nfsv4 "pseudofilesystem".

tank/foo/bar
tank/foo/baz
tank/foo/quz
tank/foo/rat

If all clients should see foo/quz and foo/rat, client B should see foo/bar and
client C should see foo/baz, I think you will have to rearrange
this so that you export foo/quz and foo/rat to all and foo/bar and foo/baz
separately.

-dsr-.