[Discuss] Some very quietly announced Ubuntu news regarding Snap packages.

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 21:14:27 EST 2024

Quick updates on this front

On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 17:06:03 -0500
Rich Pieri <Richard.Pieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> My Windows 10 machines are going to be rebuilt with openSUSE
> Tumbleweed early next year.

Converted the secondary (and more work) PC to Tumbleweed this week.
It's a notebook with nVidia/Optimus so I ended up installing the binary
blob "the hard way" in order to get Steam/Proton stuff working. But
it's working quite nicely. Played a few missions of Armored Core VI on
it this evening.

Next up is seeing if I can get the disk image from the Windows install
to run as a VM, just in case I need it for something.

> My home server will remain vanilla Debian for the foreseeable future.
> There are two Ubuntu 22.04 VMs on it running Nextcloud and FoundryVTT
> respectively. VMs because isolation of network facing stuff and having

This on the other hand needed immediate attention a few weeks ago: the
Snap-based Nextcloud installation broke and I couldn't fix it. So, I
spent the time rebuilding the VM to run the Docker AIO setup. The
hardest part of this was figuring out how to use my own SSL
certificates with the Caddy reverse proxy. It's simple, but not simply
documented. For anyone who cares, follow Nextcloud's instructions for
setup and add this line to your reverse proxy settings block:

    tls /etc/caddy/certs/fullchain.pem /etc/caddy/certs/privkey.pem

and make sure the caddy user can read the files.

--