[Discuss] Problem converting site from HTTP to HTTPS

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Tue Jan 2 19:43:04 EST 2024

scottmarydavidsam at gmail.com wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I have an Ubuntu server running an Apache web server, hosting our corporate
> web site. We use CraftCMS for content management and MySQL as the backend
> DB.
>
> The site was built and has been running straight http for a number of years
> but I need to convert it to https. The server is a VM so I'm working on a
> copy.
>
> I've done the conversion and the site comes up but the layout is all messed
> up. The fonts are off and the graphics are oversized and in the wrong
> position. I've perused Craft to see if I can find anything out of place (I
> corrected a couple http designations) and I've searched the DB to make sure
> I have no references to http.
>
> I know I'm not giving a lot of info but I'm hoping the symptoms trigger
> someone's memory. Any thoughts?

That doesn't sound like it has anything to do with http/https
per se, but a lot like a CSS problem.

Possibilities which occur to me:

- a reference to a CSS file on another machine was changed from
http to https without checking that it's actually available that
way

- a CSS file has been dropped in the conversion

- a typo during the conversion has whacked the reference to a
CSS file

-dsr-