[Discuss] delete windows user data from dead laptop

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 08:48:38 EST 2024

On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 01:30:55 -0500
John Hall <johnhall2.0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok So this is odd. I figured I'd look. dd is cpu bound ! WEIRD!
>  104909 root      20   0    6628   1248    756 R  73.2   0.0 228:02.10
> mount.ntfs
>  105003 root      20   0    5540     96      0 S  32.5   0.0
> 101:36.29 dd And mount.ntfs taking more cpu than dd! Wow. That is
> surprising, and ridiculous.

Not really. The NTFS driver is a FUSE module and it is very much CPU
bound. If the partition is encrypted then that's more CPU needed.

Regarding scrubbing sensitive data: unfortunately for you, the only way
to reliably do that on flash-based SSDs is to issue the ATA secure
erase command which will zero out the whole drive. But if the
partitions are encrypted then throwing away the keys (clear/reset TPM
for bitlocker keys) should be sufficient for most use cases.

--