[Discuss] new laptop, new problems (lock screen problem)

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Thu May 25 15:24:49 EDT 2023

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 2:54 PM dan moylan <jdm at moylan.us> wrote:

> a further issue:
>   deneb2 has auto-lock disabled, but auto-blank screen @ 5
>   min.  when the screen blanks, it is impossible to recover.
>   i.e. it stays blank.  no tapping any key nor the on/off
>   power button nor anything else brings it back.
>
> what the devil is going on?

Don't know, but I may be seeing something similar on the HP elitebook
that I mentioned on a different thread.  First thing to note is that
I'm using an external USB keyboard, mouse, and Gigabit ethernet
adapters as well as an external HDMI connected monitor.  While I can
get the screen to unblank most of the time, it seems like it sometimes
takes a long time to become responsive.   I've found that I can still
login remotely via SSH, so it's clear that the machine isn't dead.  I
have had problems in the past with this external/mouse on an older
laptop, but even using the trackpad/builtin keyboard is kind of
wonky/very slow to respond.   If I figure something out that seems
relevant I will let you know.

Bill Bogstd