[Discuss] new laptop, new problems

dan moylan jdm at moylan.us
Thu May 18 18:50:52 EDT 2023

dan ritter wrote:

> dan moylan wrote:

> > at the moment i have three laptops on my local net running
> > fc38.  the newest, deneb2 (hp laptop), is giving me problems;

> > this is its /etc/hosts:
> >   127.0.0.1        localhost localhost.localdomain
> >   127.0.0.1        deneb2    deneb2.localdomain
> >   192.168.12.1     t-mobile  t-mobile.localdomain
> >   192.168.12.148   alphacent alphacent.localdomain  (now off line)
> >   192.168.12.171   aldeberan aldeberan.localdomain
> >   192.168.12.183   deneb2    deneb2.localdomain
> >   192.168.12.221   rigel     rigel.localdomain
> >   192.168.12.117   HP_DeskJet_2700_series_0A85DE HP_DeskJet_2700_series_0A85DE.localdomain
> >   50.87.218.82     bluedan

> > the situation:
> >   aldeberan can ping t-mobile, rigel, but not deneb2
> >   rigel     can ping t-mobile, aldeberan, but not deneb2
> >   deneb2    can ping t-mobile, bluedan, mit.edu,
> >               but neither aldeberan nor rigel
> >               (destination host unreachable)

> > deneb2's route:
> >   Kernel IP routing table
> >   Destination   Gateway  Genmask       Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
> >   default       _gateway 0.0.0.0       UG    600    0     0 wlo1
> >   192.168.12.0  0.0.0.0  255.255.255.0 U     600    0     0 wlo1
> >
> > i can't imagine what the difficulty is.
>
> Didn't you have this problem about a month ago?

yes, but then that problem went away without my doing
anything, leaving me in the dark (as usual).  that problem
was with alphacent, no longer on line -- it had other
problems.

> Tell us your actual network topology.
> gateway: hardware, IPs, connections. Does it do DHCP? MAC
> filtering? show us all the configs.
> ethernet switch?
> what acts as a wifi access point?
> how are things connected to each other?

i've got a t-mobile box sitting on my kitchen windowsill.
it picks up the internet wirelessly, and serves as a
wireless access point for my local net.  everything attaches
wirelessly to the t-mobile box via DHCP without MAC
filtering.  there is no ethernet switch.

that was then.  just now i connected an asus wireless router
to the t-mobile box via ethernet cable, and reattached
everything wirelessly to the asus box.  the problem has
vanished.  what the hell is wrong with the t-mobile box?
how could they even make it do that?

that leaves me with the one remaining problem with deneb2.
i lengthened the screen-blanking time to never, but
nonetheless after 10 min of inactivity i get a little popup
note saying "automatic suspend -- suspending due to
inactivity" and then after 5 more minutes it goes dark, and
nothing i do brings it back to life.  one can still ssh into
it, but ...

ole dan

j. daniel moylan
84 harvard ave