[Discuss] but more https://frame.work/ laptops

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue May 2 15:42:22 EDT 2023

On 5/2/23 12:07, Rich Pieri wrote:
> My two notebooks ago Clevo had socketed
> RAM, socketed *desktop* CPU, and socketed MXM graphics.

A desktop chip could be socketed, that makes sense. I don't know the
trade-offs in size, power consumption, additional chipset needs. Just
fitting a socket into a laptop is going to take space, but it looks like
the Clevos are bigger, at least than the current Framework models, so I
can see it working.

Replacing the whole mainboard in a Framework computer in most cases is
hundreds of dollars, but only that, and it allows keeping other parts.

In the I'm-not-in-the-market-honest department, I note that a Framework
13 is only a tad heavier and bigger than my XPS-13, yet available with
much more RAM and bigger SSD. Some reviews aren't impressed with the
battery life, but the battery is replaceable, if it loses some capacity
after a few years. No dedicated page up/page down keys, but otherwise
looks like a good keyboard layout.

-kb, the Kent who likes small and light.