[Discuss] but more https://frame.work/ laptops

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Tue May 2 15:07:07 EDT 2023

On Tue, 2 May 2023 11:06:21 -0700
Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> wrote:

> I don't think there are any socketed laptop CPUs these days, and
> unsoldering (!) and soldering those chips is pretty much a no-go for
> anyone, let alone consumers.

Pretty sure Clevo still does. My two notebooks ago Clevo had socketed
RAM, socketed *desktop* CPU, and socketed MXM graphics. I got burned by
that because the Haswell sockets *and* the nVidia MXM sockets were both
killed off with that generation.

If the CPU socket is a modular board then maybe it will work with newer
sockets, though you may find limits with PCI lanes.

--