[Discuss] Debian 12 vs. WSL 1

Daniel M Gessel daniel at syntheticblue.com
Thu Jun 22 17:05:47 EDT 2023

On 2023-06-22 15:00, Derek Martin wrote:
> "Change is expensive."
In the short term, always, but over the long term, it (can) result in
savings.

Limiting the concern to "core components" which already deal with
variations in distros/Unices, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies
and pretty much any change (genuine fixes aside) looks like a waste of
time and effort for everybody.

If you look at the ecosystem as evolving, new software continuously
written by new developers (and old software being retired along with its
developers), each of whom have to learn to deal with any
incompatibilities, inconsistencies or arbitrariness, certainly there is
a case for long term cost saving for any simplification, albeit possibly
effectively infinitesimal.

Knowing if the savings of a change will outweigh the cost is pretty
tricky indeed; in the end, I'd guess mostly people follow their
instincts or just focus on expectations for a group they care about
(their "community" - even if it's a community of 1).

With that in mind, is the burden mostly on WSL users having issues
upgrading to Debian 12? I can see that cost being discounted by hardcore
*nix devotees...

Dan