[Discuss] Debian 12 vs. WSL 1

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Thu Jun 22 14:43:10 EDT 2023

On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 10:13:14PM -0400, grg wrote:
> by the late 80s, distributed software commonly had a 'configure' script

Not relevant.

> if in the 90s you ever read usenet news via rn or trn or rrn

[I didn't, FWIW, I've never been a big user of Usenet, and when I did
use it I used windows-based readers or mailing list interfaces, such
as comp.lang.python has.  But it's completely irrelevant.]

> I just don't get why you're so all-caps adamant about denying others credit
> for their effort.

Because it's not remotely applicable to the problems that Rich and I
were discussing, namely the compatibility and interoperability of
different Unix variants.  At the time, all of the commercial Unix
variants were licenced from and based upon either BSD Unix, or AT&T
SysV Unix.  They used their own code bases, which continually diverged
from those original code bases, with their own build environments.
Did the vendors work hard to ensure their stuff worked well with their
own stuff?  Of course they did, but that's not what we're talking
about.  As I already said, in general they went out of their way to
thwart interoperability, changing behaviors of some system tools,
installing them in different paths, etc..  So all of the points you're
making are just completely irrelevant.

If you're talking about 3rd-party application software, then your
points are reasonable, but we're not--we're predominantly talking
about the OS layers, which includes things like how shell scripts
work, the paths at which system utilities lived, or how network logins
work--the things Rich described.

-=-=-=-=-