[Discuss] Debian 12 vs. WSL 1

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Fri Jun 16 20:16:20 EDT 2023

On Fri, Jun 16, 2023 at 07:42:14PM -0400, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 17:54:25 -0500
> Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org> wrote:
>
> > I do not see one.  "It is no longer necessary to do it this way," is
> > not one.   Change for no practical reason is bad change.
>
> I would say, rather, "we've always done it this way" is the worst
> reason possible for doing something a particular way and you should be
> looking for better ways to do that thing.

I agree with this.  And I would even agree that the merge IS better.
But only marginally.  Change is expensive.  If the change isn't
compelling, the expense should be avoided.  I think most, if not all,
of the problems this aims to solve could be completely avoided with
good environment design and a bit of care managing your (and your
users') personal environment.  So I'm just not buying it.

If you're in a hodge-podge environment that was less planned and more
accident, well, that sucks for you.  But if you're upgrading all your
systems to the new & better anyway, there's no better time to fix all
of the mistakes of the past.  Forcing the whole world to change... much
less desireable.

-=-=-=-=-