[Discuss] Debian 12 vs. WSL 1

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 19:42:14 EDT 2023

On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 17:54:25 -0500
Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org> wrote:

> I do not see one.  "It is no longer necessary to do it this way," is
> not one.   Change for no practical reason is bad change.

I would say, rather, "we've always done it this way" is the worst
reason possible for doing something a particular way and you should be
looking for better ways to do that thing. Now, maybe it happens that
the way you've been doing that thing is the best way to do it, but
"this is the best way to do it" is entirely different from "we've
always done it this way". One is a best practice; the other is an
arbitrary idea of perfection you alluded to.

But as I noted earlier, UsrMerge solves genuine problems that have
plagued Unix admins for decades. There are clear benefits to doing it,
and few (none?) reasons not to. And it's not like everything breaks.
Solaris fully converted to merged usr back in 2010 and most major Linux
distributions followed over the past decade. Debian is one of the last
holdouts and they finally decided to go all-in with Debian 12 (UsrMerge
is optional in Debian 11, and it apparently was a nightmare to manage).

--