[Discuss] Fwd: Re: [NatickFOSSDiscuss] Open Source IPad Recommendations and a Laptop

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Fri Jan 13 16:27:34 EST 2023

MC wrote:
> I want to know if there is an ipad out there that will allow me to install
> my open source O/S just like I install O/S's on a desktop...I go do it. and
> yes is there an ipad that supports open source os and apps? the info i've
> gotten thru this thread wasn't too definitive. for me anyway.

You keep saying "ipad".

"ipad" is not a generic term. It means a tablet device from
Apple, running iOS.

Most things called 'tablets' that aren't iPads run Android; a
few run ChromeOS. Both of those are Linux derivatives, but not
usable as full Linux systems.

There is a class of laptop called a 'tablet PC' which is a
laptop with a touchscreen and without a keyboard (although
keyboards can be attached via BT or USB). Some of those can run
Linux.

There is another class of laptop called a '2-in-1' which has a
touchscreen which rotates all the way around to the back,
allowing you to flip it over and use it as a tablet. Some of
those can run Linux.

Does that help?

-dsr-