[Discuss] seeking places for good discussion about GNU/Linux programming topics

Daniel M Gessel daniel at syntheticblue.com
Fri Oct 28 11:19:48 EDT 2022

On 2022-10-27 23:53, Bill Ricker wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2022, 18:46 Daniel M Gessel <daniel at syntheticblue.com>
> wrote:
>
>     After retiring, ... starting up some GNU/Linux programming
>     ... open source project.
>

> Trebled congrats!

Thanks!

>     I'm looking for lively and welcoming discussion boards to chat about
>     programming topics, with a focus on C coding. ...
>

> It's so long since C was my regular beat that my old haunts are gone
> or rather quiet.
> There's some q&a structured discussion on stackoverflow, but I don't
> think that's quite what you're asking for.
> For Wayland, perhaps the Ubuntu hosted forums are best? IDK.

I'm doing scattershot prototyping/"remembering how to code" in Python,
but expect to move to C in the near future.

By Ubuntu forums, do you specifically mean those at ubuntuforums.org?

The Stack Exchange sites are emphatic that they are not the place for
discussion or open ended questions. I've seen the anti-chit-chat policy
referred to when a post included social niceties.

Maybe people go to "chat" systems for what I'm looking for? I'm used to
having actual people around, but between the pandemic and no longer
working, that's a challenge.

Really, I'm a newbie at this online thing...

>     An (almost) unrelated topic is alternatives to GitHub for git
>     hosting.
>     GitHub has nice features and a large community of developers, but I'd
>     like a backup plan.
>

> GitLab is the (near) workalike,  and can import GitHub projects easily.
> Good backup plan, and could be primary.
> I'm using both, and also privately hosted repos, on different projects.

Maybe I haven't found the right link, but it looks like GitLab is going
commercial and placing restrictions on their free offerings. I found
sourcehut.org, which has an up and coming pay site (sr.ht), but fairly
inexpensive. There codeberg.org, which is free, but with prominent,
guilt-inducing, donation requests before one even signs up. Neither of
these new ones has much of a track record.

For what it's worth, it looks like the Linux kernel's primary repository
is on GitHub (while git itself is at kernel.org). If GitHub goes rogue,
I wouldn't be the only one dealing with it; I guess that's a little
reassuring (I cross the street in groups).

Thanks,

Dan