[Discuss] Reducing wear on SSD drives - worth the effort and, if so, how?

Daniel M Gessel daniel at syntheticblue.com
Fri Nov 18 14:25:48 EST 2022

On 2022-11-18 14:05, Kent Borg wrote:
> I am nervous about SSDs so I did one little thing: I put /tmp and
> /var/tmp in RAM disks, figuring that would move some background
> activity off the SSD.
I saw that mentioned online; worth a try - I don't seem to use much
memory really (but see below)...

I'm also putting my builds into RAM disks for the moment, but I don't
have much of a codebase I'm working with right now.

> P.S. I would like to upgrade to a bigger SSD but from experience I
> have become shy about dismantling notebooks. Torque the little screws
> on the bottom a little too much and things get destroyed, a little too
> little and things don't hold together. Notebooks are not just
> electronic devices, they are mechanical devices that (if used in a
> portable mode) are subjected to significant physical stress and have
> moving parts…

All this ram disk stuff has me thinking about upgrading the memory on
this bad boy, but it's a _want_ not a _need_.  If I could see the
inside, I'd go for DIMMs with RGB blinky lights.

Yeah, laptops are definitely on the more delicate end of the spectrum
and I'm all thumbs. But I'd still go for it, just to hot-rod this sucker.

Dan