[Discuss] Reducing wear on SSD drives - worth the effort and, if so, how?

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Fri Nov 18 14:05:52 EST 2022

On 11/18/22 06:21, Daniel M Gessel wrote:
> Anyone have thoughts on whether it's worth trying to reduce wear on
> the drive?

I have a Dell XPS-13 a couple models old and the stock SSD in it reports
as a "Micron 2200S NVMe 512GB", which I think is a decent part, but I am
nervous about SSDs so I did one little thing: I put /tmp and /var/tmp in
RAM disks, figuring that would move some background activity off the SSD.

I have not played with fstrim. I am running XFS on top of LVM on top of
dm-crypt. I wonder whether things are configured to even know how to
trim through that. I'll have to look.

-kb

P.S. I would like to upgrade to a bigger SSD but from experience I have
become shy about dismantling notebooks. Torque the little screws on the
bottom a little too much and things get destroyed, a little too little
and things don't hold together. Notebooks are not just electronic
devices, they are mechanical devices that (if used in a portable mode)
are subjected to significant physical stress and have moving parts…