[Discuss] Open Source IPad Recommendations

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Sat Nov 5 13:21:23 EDT 2022

MC wrote:
> What's the chance that there's an Ipad out there that supports an Open
> Source O/S?
>
> I need a new Ipad and don't want to be locked into an Apple or Dell that
> can't be upgraded. I also like cheap, so I can go legacy, as long as I can
> get on the internet, which I can still do with my Apple IPad 1. I just can't
> download with it, and in the last few months can't get email either. before
> that, I was fine.

By "iPad" do you mean Apple hardware, or "tablet of reasonable
size and weight"?

LineageOS -- a largely open-source, community-driven adaptation
of Android -- explicitly supports Samsung's S5e and S6 tablets,
Sony's Xperia Tablet Z2. You can find unofficial ports to a
number of other tablets.

If you don't care about ideological purity, an Amazon Fire HD10
is nicely priced because Amazon expects to make money from you
on media consumption. Subvert that by installing F-Droid and
your own homescreen launcher.

-dsr-