[Discuss] ZFS on Raspberry Pi?

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 10:53:54 EDT 2022

On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 10:06:03 -0400
markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:

> High availability is a fairly specialized deployment and that is
> accomplished with many different strategies. KVM has provisions for
> redundant high availability. You can create two servers that have
> access to the same LUNs (or us something like drbd)

But as I said: you can't do this with a single VM host.

When you start expanding your virtualization infrastructure you can
rack up some very high initial costs. Let's say for example you have an
old machine with 4 cores and 8GB RAM which I think is reasonable given
your previous suggestion. And lets say you want 4 VMs with 2 cores and
2GB each (equivalent to a smallish Pi4). Well, you can't fit them all
on just that one host so you need two hosts. But you still don't have
HA because if one VM server fails, or is restarted for routine
maintenance, you don't have enough capacity for all of your VMs so you
really need at least three VM servers to provide sufficient capacity
and fault tolerance.

Maybe these costs are worth it (as they certainly are for my employer)
but for a private network? A Pi cluster may be a better and more cost
effective solution than virtualization. And the Pi cluster is probably
the more fun project.

YMMV.

--