[Discuss] Suggestions for a new server machine

Daniel Barrett dbarrett at blazemonger.com
Fri Dec 9 15:17:53 EST 2022

On December 9, 2022, jc at trillian.mit.edu wrote:
>My home linux server has been acting up, and after 14 years, it may
>not be long for this world.  So I thought I'd ask y'all what you
>might suggest as a replacement.

Strong recommendation for silentpc.com, also known as endpcnoise.com.
Their online configurator gives you tons of options, and they'll also
build completely custom machines to your specifications. The resulting
computers run cool & silent, have long lives, and are easily
upgradable in high-quality cases.

I bought my first computer from them in 2007, a new one in 2013, and
another new one in 2020. All of them were still running strong when
replaced (with faster machines). For the most recent, I just emailed
them some requirements (AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X CPU, 32GB RAM,
PCIe SSD, etc.) and they built a custom machine around it.

Tech support is pretty good (B+). They investigated some pretty
obscure Linux issues for me on request.

YMMV but I'm a completely satified customer.

--
Dan Barrett
dbarrett at blazemonger.com