[Discuss] Suggestions for a new server machine

Daniel M Gessel daniel at syntheticblue.com
Fri Dec 9 14:32:02 EST 2022

They're not local by everyone's standard, but I've had good luck with
MicroCenter over the years, including an easy replacement of a new
laptop that had issues.

They have alot of build options (online configurators and the like) as
well as their own prebuilt and name-brands. You can order online and
pickup at the store, if you don't want to hunt for stuff on the shelves.

Not that you'd want it for a server, unless you're doing GPGPU, but GPU
prices are still exorbitant; I think that's true everywhere but I
haven't been shopping for one lately. I'd put off buying one for my
offline universe simulator right now (unless galaxies were about to
collide).

Walking over there gets me out of the house, which is a nice bonus.

Dan