[Discuss] More ZFS Questions

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Sat Aug 20 23:33:11 EDT 2022

On 8/20/22 19:44, Rich Pieri wrote:
> Kind of. ZFS in principle knows about disk geometries and how to
> optimize reads and writes so in principle you should let ZFS manage
> whole physical devices.

I'll try that next.

> My limited experience with Raspberries Pi and USB flash is it will
> always fail under sustained high load. Either insufficient power will
> cause data loss or overheating components will cause data loss.

I gave up on USB flash. This is two new USB-C WD 1TB spinning drives,
connected through a powered external USB 3.0 hub.

I'm wondering whether the USB subsystem on the Pi isn't fully debugged.
Frustrating if so, because there is some pretty heavy serious computing
and IO happening on the ARM architecture.

-kb, the Kent who apparently always has to innovate, just enough to
cause himself trouble.