[Discuss] More ZFS Questions

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 19:44:56 EDT 2022

On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 16:14:08 -0700
Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> wrote:

> More ZFS questions, if I may.
>
> Is this a sensible command to make a two-disk mirror?
>
>    # zpool create mail-mirror  -f -O compression=on mirror sda2 sdb2
>
> Am I violating some basic dictate by not doing whole disk? Am I doing
> anything else wrong there?

Kind of. ZFS in principle knows about disk geometries and how to
optimize reads and writes so in principle you should let ZFS manage
whole physical devices.

> Because after I did this, I started a torture test:
[...]
> -kb, the Kent who notes the above is all on a Raspberry Pi 4.

My limited experience with Raspberries Pi and USB flash is it will
always fail under sustained high load. Either insufficient power will
cause data loss or overheating components will cause data loss.

--