[Discuss] Mirrored ZFS Raid

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Sat Aug 13 21:09:09 EDT 2022

Kent Borg wrote:
> So, as I earlier said I was planning on doing, I am now playing with ZFS on
> a Raspberry Pi 4. A little confusion about getting correct kernel headers
> installed, and I suspect I have it working. But do I?
>
> Is setting up the two-disk array *really* as simple as:
>
>   zpool create mail-mirror  -f -O compression=on mirror sda2 sdb2
>
> I know, I did something odd there. All the ZFS examples I have seen were to
> use an entire disk, and I told it to use a partition instead.
>
> It seems to work, on reboot, the volume mounts again.
>

> Questions:
>
>  - Is this vaguely sensible?

Does 'zpool list' show mail-mirror?

Does 'zpool status' show it being a mirror? And healthy?

>  - If vaguely sensible, is there an obvious improvement that would make it,
> say, smart?

Run a scrub once a week or once or twice a month.

What else do you mean by "smart"? You could add a third disk and
label it a spare. Or you could add a third disk and make it a
3-way mirror.

You should create zfs in the zpool, so you can do snapshots.

-dsr-