[BLU/Officers] Scheduling issue

Jerry Feldman gaf at gapps.blu.org
Sat Feb 15 08:57:16 EST 2020

Hi John,
Here is an abstract:
As the subject says, 'Atom is a Hackable Editor for the 21st Century'.
Jerry is a long time EMACS user, but while at Red Hat, he found that EMACS
was not doing a good job with Python. Another developer suggested Atom.
Atom is very customizable. First, for Python, it has a number of packages
that provide syntax checking, automatic indentation as well as the ability
to execute code from the console. Atom also has packages to support other
languages. The things I like about Atom is that it can display a list of
files and their status, and a number of panes. Jerry will demonstrate how
he works on applications and displays code in multiple panes. In addition,
Atom supports GIT and SVN. With git you can do a an add, commit, a pull or
a push. He will demonstrate that on one of his projects.
Atom is fully open source. In addition to Python, Atom supports many other
languages, including C, C++, Perl, JavaScript, Java, and many more. Jerry
will show a list from the language indicator. Atom supports many different
themes. Jerry uses the Atom Dark, but he will demonstrate others. He will
also discuss the package manager. He will also demonstrate how to run the
application being edited.

Atom can be installed directly from the Fedora repositories via the 'dnf
install' command or the software center, and in Ubuntu via the 'apt-get'
command or via the Ubuntu Software Center. It may be downloaded from
https://atom.io/. For more detailed directions see the Atom Flight Manual:
https://flight-manual.atom.io/. In many cases, when you install an
application from a vendor repository, that version might be somewhat out of
date. However, atom will notify you if there are updates to both Atom or
your packages.

Jerry has tried many different editors over the years. More recently he
tried Pycharm, a popular Python-oriented IDE. Pycharm is not open source,
and the free version lacks many useful features. Several years ago, Jerry
tested Geany, but decided that Atom was the better system.

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Treasurer, Boston Linux and Unix
http://www.blu.org