[BLU/Officers] Fwd: It's FOSS: With CentOS Stream, Red Hat Just Killed CentOS as we Know it

John Abreau abreauj at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 11:29:43 EST 2020

Looks like a good topic for February. Any thoughts on who would be a good
speaker to invite for this?

Quick summary:

* In 2014, Red Hat acquired CentOS
* In 2019, IBM acquired Red Hat
* Today(?), IBM announced that
   1) CentOS 8 EOL is being retroactively cut short from from 2029 to 2021;
   2) CentOS Linux is being replaced with CentOS Streams

Essentially, the stable community edition OS we knew as CentOS is being
cancelled, and the brand name is being repurposed for an unstable rolling
beta version of RHEL.

IBM is inflicting harm on the FOSS community as it shoots itself in the
foot.

https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

It's FOSS: With CentOS Stream, Red Hat Just Killed CentOS as we Know it.
https://itsfoss.com/centos-stream-fiasco/

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
Boston Linux and Unix http://www.blu.org