[BLU/Officers] PGP/GnuPG keysignings and COVID-19

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 14:58:24 EDT 2020

Kurt

> http://ttn.mit.edu/PGPcopter.htm

Thank you Kurt.  😃

Do you know of any secure procedures we could employ to replace our
>> traditional BLU keysigning parties during the pandemic? I imagine it's
>> probably not feasible at all, and we should just skip it this year, but I
>> figure if anyone knew of a way to do it properly under present conditions,
>> you would have heard of it.

Holding up ID cards to a webcam would have lower confidence / weaker
epistemology than the traditional in-person circular firing squad in which
we each handle each others' ids, but wouldn't be impossible. Indeed a jitsi
session could be set on a recurring schedule more often than annually and
needn't be restricted to locals,  but then one should ask what
introductions one wants to require to sign a stranger's key remotely!
(Answer: a lot, lest the web of trust become meaningless. )

However

Since my sermon last year was on the topic that PGP keys are obsolescent
golden hammers in search of screws to pound,  I would be happy to skip the
signing this year and instead expand on the what to use instead of PGP/GPG
in each use case.