[HH] 3D printing at AA

Drew Van Zandt drew.vanzandt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 09:45:40 EST 2012

The high-end 3D printer is priced per cubic inch of material used (not
volume of part, most parts are 60% or less densely packed).  For nonmembers
we'll print things for $12/cubic inch of material, members who have taken a
training class ($75) may print for $7.50 per cubic inch.  Crossover volume
is about 17 cubic inches of parts.

I'll have to check if there's some intermediate price for members who have
not taken the class and want someone to print things for you; if not, I
would print things for $10/cubic inch for Artisan's Asylum members who do
not have printer training.

The MakerBot is finicky about what it will print, and not always up and
running (I like to mess with it, I don't care about making things I just
like playing with the printer design), but when it's running you can print
for $1 for a small print, $3 for a medium sized print, $5 for a large
print.  S/M/L is roughly 1/4/9 cubic inches of part volume.  Double the
prices if you want a solid fill instead of the default.

A 4x8 1" sheet of aluminum is 4 or 5 grand (varies wildly), it's also just
shy of 500 pounds of aluminum - 1/6 of the weight of my car.  :-)

Note on membership: It is perfectly fine to get a membership for a month,
do a bunch of stuff, let it lapse, and then 6 months later get a membership
again for just one month....so you can save up projects.

*
Drew Van Zandt
Artisan's Asylum Craft Lead, Electronics & Robotics
Cam # US2010035593 (M:Liam Hopkins R: Bastian Rotgeld)
Domain Coordinator, MA-003-D.  Masquerade aVST
*