[Discuss] delete windows user data from dead laptop

John Hall johnhall2.0 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 23:59:02 EST 2024

>4) Did I mention that you should do the smartctl disk tests on all your
> drives? Submit to this list your results after doing the short and
>long tests on each, so that the list's experts can interpret your
>results.
4) It's moot for this drive since I've sent it in without the smart data. I
will watch a tear down or something for the M2 drive enclosure to figure
out the chipset for USB to SATA. smartctl was not able to send commands to
the ssd though the provided bridge chip. What a useless enclosure for
diagnostics. They said they have a dedicated open pc for checking ssds in
their shop. I ran out of time messing with it and dropped the laptop off
for service. I did not have time to do a secure wipe. I let them check it
out at the store before sending it in since that  is free with the geeks
quad protection plan and maybe it's a reset short of some sort or something
they can solve by flashing bios and ssd.

>5)  ... And if so, might a mid-tower desktop give you the
>repairability so that next time troubleshooting will be simpler and
>repair will simply be an easy parts replacement. For gaming, imagine
>yourself with a 105 watt 14 core, 28 thread processor running above
>4Ghz, 64 or 128GB RAM, and a nice fast NVMe to serve as your hard
>drive. And of course, the non-nVidia graphics card of your choice.
>Be sure to have lots of fans and do a clean build for good air flow.

I went with a new desktop pc. I will make a new post because I need to make
some choices setting it up.