[Discuss] delete windows user data from dead laptop

John Hall johnhall2.0 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 04:57:46 EST 2024

Steve good ideas even though it's a bit different than imagined.
1) Not nvidia. It's AMD Ryzen 9 and AMD Raedon. Both have GPUs and the
Raedon has separate RAM. I believe getting these to dance together causes
timing issues and the MB falw is related to some frackery here. It's long
been a problem to run the overclocking / tweaking app that came with the
laptop. I am using Windows with ubuntu in WSLv2.
But yes scores of proprietary drivers, and helper processes with multiple
versions. It's a minor miracle every minute that windows systems don't
self-destruct.
2) No I have not run memtests. It's a laptop with no CD but USB key or
rescue partitions could have the same options. I wonder if uefi bios
might have mem test. hum.
3) It's a laptop and that is an interesting idea but without the same
access I'm reluctant to do it. It quits with a windows stop code of 21x
which is a crash in the startup process. I should research if this is the
same as pressing the reset button. Getting to the power button would
require extensive disassembly of the laptop. I'm not prepared to do that
but since Geeksquad is a send off for just about any service *it may be
worth paying a local repair shop before going to bestbuy* if that is what
the code is for the reset (holding power button down).
If I could get Debian to boot from the key, maybe I could see a signal or
even maybe it is a soft reset in windows.... or bios/ufei that could be
disabled.
Imaging update:
I have increased throughput from 11MiB to 80MiB ! Whoo Hoo! and I am pretty
confident in my command to continue my dd image where I left off but with a
larger block size. I also got the usb hard drive attached to the 3.0
bus but still not getting maximum usb2.0 speed. There is a 3.2 hub added
that is shared by both drives and is attached to the linux 3.0 bus. There
may be two 3.0 buses. I have not tried one other usb port. I should have
tested that before restarting the dd. It's fast enough to go to sleep.