[Discuss] delete windows user data from dead laptop

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 22:06:19 EST 2024

On Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 8:58 PM John Hall <johnhall2.0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a laptop that reboots even when trying to boot debian from a usb
> drive or in windows recovery. ...

That sounds terrible, eww.
I totally agree about the goodness of separate partitions for system and
user.

Fortunately it's just going back to best buy.
> If I totally wipe the ssd they may not be able to see the problem and may
> blame me and delay replacement.

Well the first question is, Is this such a high-spec gamer/graphics/pro
laptop that is worth getting full return credit for, vs your time & effort
to make it safe to return, and the value of your exploitable PII in case
you don't get enough of it, or is it a cheap one (which is the point of
shopping Best Buy instead of MicroCenter right?) that if your time is worth
anything, it's cheaper to set it aside as a parts donor and buy another one
just like it (to be parts-donnee later) for short money ... and do a
burn-in before putting any personal information on it!!!

With some older versions of Windows, you could removed the Windows SSD and
mount it (via a USB enclosure) on a different device that boots a Windows
Rescue Boot-CD/Boot-USB, and delete users, directories, if the suffering
laptop can't even boot the rescue media.
(*I remember using the rescue boot to solve the problem that the prior
owner of an older laptop deleted the only Administrator account when about
to give it away, which meant no ability to add a new user. That was a long
time ago tho*.)
I suspect recent improvements in Windows security might make the Windows
*User* addition/removal from a Linux-based rescue utility more difficult
today?
But deleting the user directory files should be possible, and should be
mostly adequate.

Alternatively, you might be able to boot another device with the SSD in an
USB enclosure and then use Windows own tools to delete yourself, possibly
completely?

HOWEVER If they can notice you've removed and replaced the SSD for above,
they might take same bad attitude about warranties. Hopefully it's not
protected by a laquered screw.
   (If you do see a laquered screw, I wouldn't recommend find a matching
nail-polish jar and nail-polish-remover to cover your tracks as I'd never
recommend warranty fraud, but when the DIY isn't the cause of the problem
but just limiting the damage hey seems fair.)

Your precautions sound generally adequate. If they were to attempt to
repair the laptop (partswap major components until it works - RAM,  CPU,
Motherboard, ...)  or move the SSD into another device, they're likely
going to re-image it before resale of a laptop as refurb.
The worst case would be if they salvaged the SSD and sold it as scrap.
Deleting user files and encrypted password file both largely continue to
protect in that outcome.  Only user data that Windows and Apps squirrel
away in Registry and other insane places rather than under ${HOME} as Ken
and Dennis intended would be inspectable.
You might even be able to registry edit

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com