[Discuss] Wanting to understand Dolphin file manager automounting

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 10:59:50 EST 2024

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 21:26:05 -0500
Dan Ritter <dsr at randomstring.org> wrote:

> > Yes, but this isn't the question. Let's say the exports are
>
> Yes, but it was the answer.

It's an answer to a question I did not ask. I already know how NFS v4
works with nested volume exports. What I don't know, and what I asked
about, is the mechanism behind Dolphin mounting nested volumes as
discrete volumes when ls from a shell does not.

That is, when I mount server:/foo as /foo on the client and run 'ls -R
/foo' then I have one NFS volume mounted. When I browse /foo with
Dolphin then I have *three* NFS volumes mounted. What mechanism in
Dolphin is responsible for this different behavior?

It's not "because NFS v4". If it were, then ls would mount those
nested volumes as discrete volumes. It doesn't.

--