[Discuss] How do I check cpu compatibility?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Oct 8 21:25:00 EDT 2023

John Abreau said on Sun, 8 Oct 2023 03:01:48 -0400

>In the Rocky Linux Release 9.0 release notes, there's a warning to
>Please Check CPU Compatibility, but all it says about Intel CPUs is
>"AMD and Intel 64-bit architectures (x86-64-v2)"
>
>Last year I tried installing a Rocky Linux 9 VM, and it failed
>completely. I eventually discovered that Rocky Linux 9 no longer
>supports x86-64, but requires x86-64-c2, which I was previously
>unaware existed.

Wow, leave it to the world of Redhat to abandon 64 bit processors less
than 20 years old. I don't know what your use case is, but perhaps Void
Linux would suit your needs. It works all the way back to Pentium 4
(SSE2) i686 32 bit, requiring only 96MB (0.1GB) of RAM. Obviously to
run big browsers and desktop environments you'll need more, but this
gives you an idea.

https://docs.voidlinux.org/installation/index.html#base-system-requirements

SteveT

Steve Litt